Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Blog Assignment #3

1. Explain what “to give an argument” means in this book.

I feel that what it means to "give an argument" is a collection of many things. The book say that to give an argument you "offer a set of reasons and/or give evidence in support of your conclusion". We first need to choose what it is were arguing and then find reasons in which to support it. You want to use as few and as clear or words as you can when stating and supporting an argument. Br precise on what it is you're trying to argue so the person reading it can understand what you're trying to say and where you're coming from. Then finally you lay out your argument, the reasons and evidence, followed by your conclusion.




2. What are the reasons Weston gives in support of his claim, “arguments are essential”?


Arguments are essential because what would happen if no one argued? We could never come to a conclusion about what is right and what is wrong. All arguments are different and that all arguments are acceptable as long as you have reasons in which to back them up. Everyone isn't going to agree all the time which leads to arguments. People have arguments to support something they think is correct and that they can back up. Arguments are apart of everyday life and without them we wouldn't learn anything by coming to conclusions and we wouldn't learn anything about other people.


3. Explain why many students tend to “write an essay, but not an argument”.


I think students tend to "write an essay" instead of an argument for the main reason that most students often have to write essays and papers and don't often have assignments for writing arguments. I also think that students do this because in most subjects you're writing based on facts and information you have researched, and they're not writing based on their own thoughts and opinions like they would be doing in an argument. I think it takes students awhile to defferentiate the differences between writing an essay and constructing an argument when writing a paper.


4. Construct two short arguments (one "for" and one "against") as modeled in the Week 3 Assignment section in Blackboard. Put each one in "elements form".

FOR/AGAINST: (argument form)

Arguable Issue: Whether or not people should drive drunk

Conclusion: People should drive drunk.

Premises: People should drive drunk because

(1.) What are the chances something will happen to them, when there are so many other people

(2.) It will save them money so they don't have to pay for a cab

(3.) People won't think they're cool unless they drive drunk with their friends in the car

Arguable Issue: Whether or not people should drive drunk.

Conclusion: People should NOT drive drunk.

Premises: People shouldn't drive drunk because

(1.) Drunk driving is both dangerous for you and all other people on the road driving as well

(2.) It's not worth getting a DUI or going to jail

(3.) It can change your life or someone else's forever in a negative way

AGAINST/FOR: (equation form)

P: Driving drunk is both dangerous for you and all the other people on the road driving as well
P: It's not worth getting a DUI or going to jail
P: It can change your life or someone else's forever in a negative way

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C: Therefore, people should NOT drive drunk



P: The chances of driving drunk and something bad happening is slim with all the other people driving on the road
P: You'll save money by not paying for a cab
P: You'll look cool to your friends because you drove drunk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C: Therefore, people should drive drunk

5. Review the seven rules in chapter one. Briefly discuss how your argument demonstrates that each rule was applied, in the construction of your arguments above.

Rule #1: Distinguish premises and conclusion. I did this by stating my conclusion and having premises that were in support of my conclusion.

Rule #2: Present your ideas in a natural order. I stated my premises and reasons in a natural order and in an order of which I think they would have been thought of if it were a real situation.

Rule #3: Start from reliable premises. I think I used pretty reliable reasons that others would use themselves and agree with.

Rule #4: Be concrete and concise. I was concrete and concise by focusing and sticking to my argument. I did this by stating good reasons that supported my conclusion.

Rule #5: Avoid loaded language. I actually went back and changed my argument my cutting out words to I didn't sound like I was rambling on. I chose words that were easy to follow and understand for the reader.

Rule #6: Use consistent terms. I did this by not throwing in large or random words that would throw the reader off.

Rule #7: Stick to one meaning for each term. I did this by focusing on a certain meaning for each argument and explaining my reasons off of it.


6. Review the three rules in the appendix named, “Definitions”. In your own words, discuss how you took these rules into consideration as you constructed your arguments.

When I was constructing my arguments I made sure to try to follow and consider the three definitions within the appendix. I did this by rechecking my statements to make sure they were clear and understandable. I tried to use words that would be easy to comprehend for the reader and so they could see what I was trying to get across. I also put my own thoughts and opinions into the argument so it didn't sound like the reader was reading straight from a definition or out of a book. I strived for it to be different from a definition so the reader could relate and understand it better and also so they would have a better understand from where I was coming.




7. How many points do you honestly feel your post this week deserves? Justify your answer.

I would have to say that I put 110% into this assignment and made sure it was done the way it was supposed to be done. I put a lot of time into this assignment and felt that my answers were complete and as correct as they could be. I would say that I deserve a 24 or 25 because I feel that I should get an A on this assignment.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, D-

    Excellent post. Incredibly thorough; you really went above and beyond the call of duty, as you did not HAVE to format the arguments in equation form this time. I really appreciated that you took the time to consider all 7 rules, especially:

    "Rule #5: Avoid loaded language. I actually went back and changed my argument my cutting out words to I didn't sound like I was rambling on. I chose words that were easy to follow and understand for the reader."

    I would give you 30 points if I could...but I can't. This is definitely a 25 point-er though. :) KJP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh--and by the way, thanks for changing it from a black background. Though after reading your post just now, when I looked down to type you a response, my keyboard looked pink, lol. :) KJP

    ReplyDelete