Sunday, January 11, 2009

DDavis_ Blog Assignment #1

1. How would you have explained the meaning of the term "ethics", before taking this class?
I would have explained "ethics" as a meaning of what is ethically "correct" to one's self. And that each individual person has to ask themself..is this ethical? when they make a decision. I think most people look past the idea of ethics and what is ethical when they make decisions. And in addition to that, most people aren't 100% sure if their decisions are ethical or not when they make them. What's ethical to one person might not be eithical to another. I think that's why the "definition" of ethics is unclear to a lot of people including myself because what exactly determines what is ethical? (As to why I'm taking the class!)
2. What are some of your deepest held values?
A value that my father has embedded in my head since I young was treat others as you want to be treated. If you treat others in a negative way they are probably going to react back in a negative way. So to avoid that you should treat others the way you want to be treated and no one wants to be treated bad so it would/could lead to more peace in the world if more people believed and acted on this as I do. Another strong value I have is that I am a very honest person. I have never been and never see myself being a good liar. I have a problem when it comes to lying and I feel that it's a good value to have. Many people have issues when it comes to being honest whether it's because they are hiding something, don't want to tell the truth, or have been brought up to think that lying is okay.
3. What are some main principles you try to live your life by?
I've started to try and realize that each day is a different day and that you have to take one day at a time. Just because you have a bad day one day doesn't mean it's the end of the world or multiple bad days are destined to follow it. I also try to remember that everyone has their own problems in life and that when I have a problem or if something isn't going right in my life like I want it to be I'm not the only one and I shouldn't take my negative feelings out towards others.
4. What moral qualities do you look for in others?
I would say that I first look for thoughtfulness, honesty and reliability. Beacuse to me all of those are important when it comes to trusting someone. And if I feel I can't trust someone then I don't really have a desire to been around them or associate myself with them. And who wants to be around someone who doesn't fall under those catagories.
5. How were your values and principles developed?
From 3rd to 12th grade I attended Catholic school where I think a lot of my values came from. Many things were focused around God, and what God would think is a good thing or bad thing. Also the influences in my life such as family and friends, played a major role in my values and principles that I still hold close to me today.
6. How have your values and principles changed throughout your life so far?
I would say that my values haven't changed much at all. I still believe in the main value sand principles in my life and if anything I've just learned to know a better understanding of my values as I get older and grow myself. I learn from others and from my own actions and decisions.
7. Out of 25 points, how many points do you feel your work on this assignment deserves? Justify your answer.
I would say that I deserve the full 25 or atleast close to it because these were all answers that I felt completed the question in an accurate and honest way. I feel that I did my best on this assignment whether I nailed it or not! :) So, now it's up to you to decide if you agree with me and if you want to give me the full 25 points!

No comments:

Post a Comment